Three Teenage Motorists Unharmed After Being Thrown From Vehicle
Three young motorists, ages 14 through 18, were fortunate to escape a single-vehicle accident over the weekend with only minor injuries. Creek County, OK Police are reporting that the three teens survived an accident that ejected them from a pickup truck after all three failed to wear their seat belts. The accident took place around 6:30 pm on Saturday, March 21st near the intersection of 273rd West Avenue and West 191st Street South.
Police at the scene of the accident announced that the driver, age 17, was driving north on 273rd West Avenue when his pickup truck left the road and flipped three times. All three occupants, ages 14, 17 and 18, were not wearing their seat belts and were thrown from the car.
Thankfully, all three teenagers survived the accident. The driver was taken to Kernersville hospital with internal injuries and is said to be in stable condition. The two passengers were treated and released with minor injuries.
Tragically, car accidents are the leading cause of death for teenagers in the United States, representing over 33% of all fatalities. The following statistics help shed some light on the scope of traffic accidents involving drivers ages 16 to 19:
- In Oklahoma in 2011, drivers ages 16 to 19 made up only 5.7% of the total licensed drivers in the state but accounted for over 11% of all drivers involved in crashes.
- In Oklahoma in 2011, there were a total of 303 crashes involving teenage drivers that listed alcohol as a factor.
- In 2012 across the U.S, 57% of teenagers killed in car accidents were not wearing a seat belt.
- In 2011 in the U.S, 11% of teens involved in traffic accidents were reported to be distracted at the time of the accident.
This is an important time for parents to talk with their children about proper driver safety because the warmer weather means that more young drivers will be out on Oklahoma’s roads and highways. It is important to instill the proper safety habits in young drivers early before they get on the road and have a chance to develop bad habits.
Here are some important safety tips to keep in mind when talking to young motorists about driver safety:
- Buckle Up: The three teenage drivers involved in last weekend’s accident were lucky to escape with only minor injuries while not wearing their seat belts. Seat belts are critically important during any traffic collision and may end up meaning the difference between life and death.
- Never Drink and Drive!: This is a common refrain that young drivers will hear often, but it is crucial that they heed this advice. Drinking and driving is especially dangerous for teenage drivers because it combines youthful inexperience on the roads with delayed reaction times and poor judgment.
- Avoid All Distractions: Parents often joke about trying to pry their children away from their mobile devices, iPods or tablets, but distractions such as these can be deadly while behind the wheel. Research shows that sending a text while driving 55mph is the equivalent of driving the entire length of a football field while blindfolded.
At Graves McLain, Tulsa Accident and Personal Injury law firm, we want to do our part to raise awareness about proper teen driver safety habits. We all must do our part to make sure that new drivers develop the right habits that will lead them towards a lifetime of safe, responsible driving.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car, truck, or motorcycle accident that was not your fault call Tulsa Accident Lawyers, Graves McLain now for help. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, medical bills, lost time from work, property damage, pain & suffering, and more. You need the experience of Graves McLain on your side. These caring attorneys can help you understand the details of your case and will fight to get you the recovery you deserve.
The car accident lawyers at Graves McLain have years of experience representing drivers of all ages and backgrounds. Graves McLain Tulsa Injury Lawyers are uniquely qualified to represent you in your motor vehicle accident claim and offer experienced personal injury representation. They have recovered millions of dollars on behalf of those suffering from catastrophic injuries and loss as a result of negligent drivers.
Call us today at 918-359-6600 to speak with an attorney and review your case for FREE.
Graves McLain – Serious Lawyers for Serious Injuries