Swimming Pool Safety A Must This Summer
The two-year-old foster daughter of a Sands Springs, Oklahoma police officer drowned last week when she somehow got through a safety fence surrounding the in-ground pool. Unfortunately, this is a common event during the heat of the summer months, when men, women, and children flock to pools and water parks to cool off.
It is important to follow all safety regulations when swimming in order to prevent these horrific accidents. Parents must educate themselves and children on how to stay safe when spending time in or near water.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports that nearly 400 children drown in a pool each year, with 75 percent of those incidents involving children younger than 5. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, children between the ages of 1 and 3 and African-American children between the ages of 5 and 19 are most likely to drown. The CPSC has initiated a Pool Safely campaign. Pool Safely is a national public education effort to reduce drowning.
The CPSC’s Top 10 Tips to Stay Safe Around the Pool and Spa:
1. Never leave a child unattended in or around a pool
2. Teach children basic water safety tips
3. If a child is missing, first look in the pool
4. Keep children away from pool drains
5. Ensure all pool drain covers comply with federal standards
6. Learn how to swim and teach your children to swim
7. Learn how to perform CPR on children and adults
8. Install a 4-foot or taller fence around the perimeter of the pool
9. Install lockable safety cover on your spa
10. Have lifesaving equipment easily accessible
Swimming pools can pose serious dangers and accidents are far too common. If you or a loved one is ever injured in a swimming pool accident that was not your fault, call the experienced Tulsa Oklahoma Personal Injury Attorneys at Graves McLain for help. An experienced lawyer will speak with you for free and help you find answers.
If we accept your case, we will fight to protect your right to the full and fair compensation you deserve. Call Graves McLain Tulsa accident lawyers at 918-359-6600 for a free consultation.
Graves McLain, helping Oklahomans every day seek the justice they deserve.