Protect Your Children, Use Child Safety Seats
Did you know that injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of death among children in the United States? Oklahoma law requires parents to put their children in child safety seats for their protection. The caring attorneys at Graves McLain promote child safety initiatives across the state of Oklahoma. Know the facts, learn the law.
According to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration, child safety seats decrease the risk of death in passenger car crashes by 71% for infants and 54% for toddlers.
– According to the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office, in 2011, over 4,000 children, infant to age 8, were involved in car accidents.
– Children ages 2 to 5, who use a regular seat belt too soon are 4 times more likely to suffer a serious head injury in a crash than those using the appropriate child safety car seat.
Oklahoma law states:
– Children under 6 years old must be restrained in a federally-approved safety car seat when riding in a vehicle.
– Children at least 6 – 13 years old must be restrained by an appropriate safety system or seatbelt.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration makes the following suggestions when it comes to child safety seats.
– Check the seat labels to make sure it is appropriate for your child’s age, height, and weight.
– Keep your child in a rear-facing seat for as long as possible, usually until the age of 2.
– Harness straps should be at or below your child’s shoulders when rear-facing. When facing forward, the straps should be above the child’s shoulders.
– Make sure the child safety seat is tightly installed. You should not be able to move the seat base more than 1 inch on either side.
– Booster seats should be used with shoulder belts, not lap belts.
The car accident injury lawyers at Graves McLain are passionate about educating the public on child safety laws. Graves McLain Tulsa Oklahoma car accident law firm has represented too many seriously injured children who are victims of the negligent acts of others.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, contact Graves McLain Personal Injury lawyers so that we can represent you in your time of need, and help you recover the maximum compensation.
We’ll speak with you for free and fight to get you the compensation that you deserve. We have helped many Oklahomans by successfully handling their entire car accident claim. After an accident, before you contact the insurance company, call Graves McLain Tulsa Oklahoma car accident lawyers.
Call Graves McLain Tulsa accident lawyers at 918-359-6600 for a free consultation.
Graves McLain, helping Oklahomans every day seek the justice they deserve.