This morning attorney Chad McLain of the personal injury law firm Graves McLain appeared on Good Day Tulsa to discuss Summer Safety with show host Laura Neil. They discussed the importance of water safety, biking safety, and the importance of staying hydrated in these hot summer months.
During the summer months, families and friends go away on vacations, or to the beach or the mountains to relax and have fun. While away with friends and family, it’s important to remember that accidents do happen, so safety should always come first. Whether you’re on a lake, boating, or swimming at the local Pool water safety is imperative. Drowning is responsible for more deaths among children ages 1-4 than any other cause except birth defects. A staggering 2-3 young children die every day in water-related accidents in the US.
Below are a few simple tips to help ensure safety around the water:
– Constant supervision
– Teach your children to swim
– Formal swimming lessons are preferred
– Get CPR certified, CPR skills could save a life (We advise all children and parents in a family to get CPR certified)
– Discuss dangers around the pool, boating and water sports
– Install a 4-sided fence around home pools
Below are a few Boating Safety tips to share with your children, friends, and family:
– Make boating safety a priority
– Wear a properly fitted life jacket every time you are on the water
– Make sure you have plenty of water for hydration. It can get pretty hot out on the water.
Sun and heat Safety Tips:
– The greatest risk for heat-related illness affect infants and children up to 4
– Young and healthy people can get sick when participating in strenuous physical activities during hot weather
– Never leave an infant, children or pets in a parked car
– Dress infants and children in loose, lightweight clothing during hot summer days
– Schedule outdoor activities carefully, morning and evening hours
– Seek medical care immediately if symptoms arise from heat stroke
– Always use sunscreen with at least SPF 15 and UVA and UVB protection
– Stay hydrated by drinking lots of water when outside in the summer heat
Family Bike Rides Are Fun But Remember These Important Safety Tips
Now that the nice weather is here, teams of children and teens will hit the road on their bikes. The number one complaint from kids is about wearing their helmets. Bike helmets are essential to child safety because they protect from dangerous head and neck injuries. Here are some additional bicycle safety tips to help keep you and your family safe:
1. Make sure your tires are properly inflated and test your brakes.
2. Tighten the helmet strap firmly so that the helmet does not slide around on your or your child’s head.
3. Ride WITH the flow of traffic so that cars behind you can see you clearly and avoid you.
4. Do not ride with more than one person on the bike, either on the handlebars or on pegs, as it puts you and your passenger at risk.
5. Make sure you have some type of reflective light on the front and back of your bike.
For more tips please visit the National Highway Safety Administration.
Graves McLain is a Tulsa Oklahoma Personal Injury Law Firm. They fight to protect the rights of individuals harmed by the negligent conduct of others. If you or a loved one is ever injured in any type of accident that was not your fault, call Graves McLain for help. An experienced lawyer will speak with you for free. If we accept your case, we will fight to protect your right to the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Call us at 918-359-6600 for a free consultation.
Graves McLain, Helping Oklahomans Every Day, You Can Depend On Us!