Are You Extra Careful When Driving or Walking Over Train Tracks in Tulsa OK?
You may not think it, but many serious accidents happen on train tracks every day in the United States. In fact, every 2 hours a train strikes a person or vehicle. Because a train can come from multiple directions with little warning, it is critical to know all the warning signs and signals when you are around a track.
Due to their size, it is almost impossible for a train to stop immediately. It can take up to a mile or more to come to a complete stop.
Recently a pedestrian was walking along the railroad tracks near Conifer Road, the train sounded its horn early on warning the pedestrian to get off the tracks, but was not able to stop in time. The man was struck and killed by the oncoming train. The accident is still under investigation.
It is important to remember these safety tips when you are driving, walking or even riding in a train or around railroad crossings/tracks:
- Never Ignore the Warnings – there should be active warning devices in place around each intersection. These crossings include an automatic warning device such as flashing red lights, bells, and gates. Also, you can hear the train horn bellowing as it is approaching the intersection.
- Use Caution – railroad tracks are used by joggers, hikers, and pedestrians on a daily basis. It is better to be over-cautious then not at all – a train can come at any time.
- Never Wear Headphones Near Train Tracks – It is important to never wear headphones when traveling around the tracks when walking, jogging or driving.
- Never Run on Train Tracks – never run directly on train tracks. There just may not be enough time for you to get off the tracks when a lightning-fast train is coming towards you.
- Never Try To Beat a Train Across The Tracks –you will most likely lose. Trains are traveling at accelerated speeds and cannot stop suddenly. Do not try and pass cars that are stopped for an oncoming train – always wait until it is clear to go.
- Be Aware – know your surroundings and other motorists – school buses, commercial buses, and trucks are required to come to a complete stop at all railroad crossings. It is important to be aware of these vehicles.
If you or a loved one is injured by a motor vehicle while walking, jogging or biking call the experienced pedestrian accident lawyers of Graves McLain right away. At Graves McLain, a Tulsa personal injury law firm, we handle cases related to all types of pedestrian accidents.
Our experienced legal team knows how to handle insurance companies that want to settle your case for cheap and we will fight to secure the maximum compensation to which you are entitled.
Call us today at 918-359-6600 to receive a FREE, confidential and no-obligation consultation with one of our experienced Tulsa OK accident attorneys. We’ll speak with you for free and fight to get you the compensation that you deserve. We have helped many Oklahomans achieve justice in their Pedestrian and Auto Accident cases and are here to help you too.
All cases are handled on a no-win, no fee basis. We only get paid after you get paid. If there is no recovery, then there is no legal fee.
Graves McLain – Serious Lawyers for Serious Injuries