Are You Doing All You Can to Keep Your Family Safe Around Water This Summer?
With summer in full swing, it is important to know the facts – lifejackets can save lives. Even if your child is a strong swimmer it is important to have all children wear a lifejacket around open water. Whether boating, swimming in the lake always have children of all ages wear a lifejacket.
It is hard to think about, but drowning is the second leading cause of unintentional death among children in the US. With more people turning to the water to cool off this summer, we want to remind everyone of some important water safety tips:
- Teach your children to swim and float – it is important that every child knows how to swim and to teach your children how to tread water and float in case of an emergency.
- Wear a lifejacket – anytime your child is around open water make sure they are wearing a lifejacket. The jacket should fit comfortably, snug, and keep your child’s chin above water. Make sure all the clasps and zippers are working as well.
- Learn CPR – make sure at least one adult knows CPR when you are going swimming, out on a boat, or playing around a lake or river or any body of water.
- Fence your pool in – if you have a pool make sure it is fenced in and that your pool is locked and closed off to wandering children when unsupervised. Also, make sure that that all locks are working in order to avoid children wondering off without supervision or without proper supervision.
- Make sure all children are properly supervised – never leave a child unsupervised around open water. It is easy to get distracted among a group of people. With distractions come accidents so remember to always be aware of children in and around water. And that means not focusing on your cell phone all day, but watching the children in front of you.
Whether you are hitting the lake, going on a boat ride, enjoying a day at the river or relaxing at the pool this summer remember to be safe around open water. And always keep close supervision of your children.
Graves McLain – Serious Lawyers for Serious Injuries